It has taken me over ten years to figure out how to plan and plot and develop my characters. I’ve tried making up a sectioned notebook, I’ve tried getting cue cards and sort them by subject, I’ve tried as many writing programs as I can think of and using their plot/notes systems, and I’ve tried scraps of paper.
Until recently, nothing really worked. I couldn’t keep track of it easily or I could access it easily whether I was at home or at work. Some things were just too annoying to carry around with me everywhere.
I’ve finally found what works for me, though. Two systems, one: an ordinary word file. One that has headings and an index at the front, and many uses of dot points and tables, as well as picture inserts.
And then, for when I don’t have the latest version of my index with me, and because I’ve always wanted a full notebook that has every page used, and it looks all worn in and loved, I have a moleskine hardcover.
I’m numbering each and every page, and have an index at the front. I also have colour-coded tabs so I can easily find which page I’m looking for. Or maybe just because it looks pretty.
So far, it’s all working awesomely.