I currently live with my parents despite the fact I’m 25 simply because renting prices where I live are $400+p/w, and I have trouble enough finding people who don’t annoy me fairly quickly in general everyday life, let alone thinking about actually living with them.
I have a partner, but he’s literally on the other side of the world and though out plans are to live together, that’s at least a year away.
I’ve been tossing up between moving to Melbourne but it has its pros and cons:
- Apartment prices are half price, and I could live in the innercity and just walk everywhere – wouldn’t need to learn to drive.
- They get musicals, Cirque du Soleil, conventions, Comedy Festival, Writing Festival…
- My partner doesn’t deal so well with hot weather – Melbourne would suit him much more.
- Friends will be there – Lana wishes to move there in late 2014 and possibly Drew, and others.
- My job here is $52,000+ a year (and that’s for a low rank) and I’m permanent. We get six weeks of leave a year, over $1,000 as a bonus each year if we take more than five days leave in one go, my work computer has any and every program I want on it and the building I work in is very nice. I get along with nearly everyone I work with, and as I started working there February 2005 I’ll have my long service leave soon. Ramble aside – the chances of my finding a matching job in Melbourne are very limited. I mean, most days at work I can read or write a bit.
- I’m not sure how my health would go. My asthma seems to be triggered by cold weather. It’s manageable, but expensive, effects my sleep and generally freaks me out.
Though really, I think it’s best if I stay in Darwin for the time being. My parents spoil me in that they possibly have enough money to buy me a $520,000 apartment, and for me to pay it back as much as I possibly can, when I can, which means I don’t have to try to get a loan and pay back ridiculous amounts of interest.
The weather here suits me, though I do love cold weather, and the place we’re looking at is close enough to walk to work – and as my work building shares space with coles and a chemist, I’d have to go to work for at least part of the day while sick just so I can get food and chemist-y things.
Spoken about the options to my partner – who doesn’t have work experience as of yet – who would be on a $48,000+ job straight off the street and it would be easy to get him work here – if not also in my building with people who’d look after him.
Perhaps in 10+ years we could then move to Melbourne, but until then… perhaps Darwin is the place to be. Expensive but job has to come first – that’s where you don’t want the struggle, agonising over money and such. We’re both fairly antisocial so limiting ourselves to one or none ‘awesome’ events a year would be do-able, we’d have each other to play games with, read and so on.
But as all this goes, I think of how easy everything would be if I had confidence in my writing. We’re getting a two bedroom apartment which means one room will be just for our computers and books and things, so I’ll finally have a ‘real’ place to write in (that’s not my bedroom) and while that won’t change a thing (hell, I write best at work) it just makes me think that if I could write, and could write well, I’d have the extra money to be able to either pay this place back faster to my parents, or afford to be able to take off to Cambridge for a month to write with friends.
If I had confidence in my writing and hence, the drive to finish something I knew I could sell, then things would be so much different.
I have the goal of where I’m going to live for the next ten years now; if only I had an extra income in order to make it a little less of a burdon.