A while ago I posted:
I’ve had a CT scan and will have a hearing test on Monday, then I see him again after that. He thinks I’ll need to have minor surgery. As long as it means I can fly without damaging my ears, then woohoo.
Well, hearing test is done (I have 100% hearing, thank goodness) and I saw my doctor again this morning. I ‘certainly need surgery’, but it would have to happen at least a month before flying again, which I have planned for the 26th of October to go to England for World Fantasy Convention. Being with my partner. Meeting Scott Lynch and Patrick Rothfuss and all the rest.
He says I can still fly without the surgery is no one’s free to do it before then – it’ll just be painful, but he can give me steroids which may help. I won’t be doing any further damage, so it’s up to me whether it’s worth it. My main issue is the hearing loss two weeks after, and I’m going to a convention which means usually packed halls unable to hear the speaker, but eh. I’m usually okay close up and if I get to meet Scott and flail then it’ll be worth it.
Currently there’s three options for surgery:
- Private Hospital: I think my BUPA covers it, however there would still, of course, be a few expenses and not sure on the time frame as to when it could be done.
- Public Hospital: 12 months waiting possibly, but free.
- Katherine Hospital: 4 hours drive away in a small town. Free also. There’s a ‘very good surgeon’ who goes there once a month to treat the Indigenous population, but they rarely show up for their appointment. I’d have a days notice if he’s suddenly free. This could happen on Thursday 1st August if so.
Either way, it needs to happen a full month at least before flying and I’d need 10 days absolute rest directly after. It would include one or two nights overnight in the hospital.
CT scan says: IMPRESSION: There is mild to moderate chronic sinusitis. There appears to be acute left maxillary sinusitis.
As for now, all I have to do is wait to see if the Katherine surgeon will be free, and meanwhile, freak the hell out over the idea of surgery.
Picture of CT scan below. See the middle bit? Nose. See the curling white (bone) bits, and black (passages) bits? They should be straight. How they intend to fix that… who knows. Ouch.
ETA 28th July: Met with surgeon – he’s not as reassuring as one would hope for. Have the codes BUPA need to check whether it’s covered by private health insurance and may look to having it done privately instead. Yay stress. Yay stress. Yay.